Sherpa will take part in the symposium “Banks: Defences or sieves for money-laundering?” organised by the tax and legal havens Platform on 20 June 2014 from 9am to 1pm at Palais Bourbon, Room Colbert.
Ill-gotten gains, UBS, Cahuzac, African money laundering… All these cases are shedding light upon banks’ tolerance, if not banks’ active direct selling involving money-laundering. The obligations on fiscal transparency and money laundering have been reinforced since 2009. And yet the monitoring role of banks is regularly called into question. Without the courage and tenacity of a handful of employees willing to blow the whistle, the public and the authorities would not be aware of any of this.
What can we learn from this? What are the concrete measures to be taken by policy makers?
9am – Introduction
Animation: Lucie Watrinet, Coordinator of tax and legal havens Platform
– Jean-Patrick Gille, member of the French Parliament
– François D’Aubert, The Chairman of the Peer-Review Group of the Global Forum on Transparency and Exchange of Information for Tax Purposes
9.15am-10.30am – When the vigilance of banks is caught off guard
Moderation: Harold Heuzé, Anticor
– Charles Duchaine, magistrate, author of Juge à Monaco: Une justice “Canada Dry”
– Jean Merckaert, editor-in-chief of the French magazine Revue Projet and administrator of Sherpa
– Jean-François Gayraud, Divisional Commissioner, author of Le nouveau capitalisme criminel
– Vincent Piolet, financial executive and holder of a PhD lecturing at the French Institute of Geopolitics (IFG)
10.30am-11.45am – Is bank regulation at the level of what is at stake?
Moderators: Mathilde Dupré, CCFD-Terre Solidaire
– Christian Chavagneux, redactor-in-chief of the magazine Alternatives Économiques, co-author of La Capture
– Chantal Cutajar, University Professor in Strasbourg, Director of the GRASCO (Group for Research-Action on Organised Crime)
– Jean-Baptiste Carpentier, Director of Tracfin, French unit for fighting the money laundering and terrorism financing
11.45am-1pm – Whistle-blowers revealing the flaws in the system
Moderators: Nicole Marie Meyer, Transparency International France
– Renaud Dufeu, lawyer of Birkenfeld (UBS in the USA) and Stéphanie Gibaut (UBS France)
– A member of the French Parliament (to be confirmed)
– William Bourdon, lawyer at the Paris bar and Founding President of Sherpa
Free admission upon presentation of an ID card, provided that enough places are available and that a mandatory prior registration was made to Mariama Keita at: Paradisfj1@yahoo.fr
[button color=”gray” icon=”download” link=”http://www.asso-sherpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Prog_colloque_paradis_fiscaux_20_juin_2014.pdf” target=”_blank”]Upload the whole programme in PDF format[/button]Last modified: 18 December 2019